The Office of Inspector General’s (OIG) Work Plan will next appear in January 2014. This change from the usual October release will better align with priorities OIG has set for the coming year, a time of continuing fiscal challenges.
The National Uniform Claim Committee (NUCC) approved a transition timeline for the version 02/12 1500 Health Insurance Claim Form (1500 claim form).
- An indicator in Item Number 21 to identify the version of the diagnosis code set being reported (i.e., ICD-9 or ICD-10).
- Expansion of the number of diagnosis codes that can be reported in Item Number 21.
- The ability to identify the role of the provider reported in Item Number 17 and the specific dates reported in Item Number 14.
The NUCC approved the following 2014 transition timeline:
- Jan. 6: Payers begin receiving and processing paper claims submitted on the revised 1500 claim form (version 02/12).
- Jan. 6 through March 31: Dual use period during which payers continue to receive and process paper claims submitted on the old 1500 claim form (version 08/05).
- April 1: Payers receive and process paper claims submitted only on the revised 1500 claim form (version 02/12).
Medicare has indicated it will reject claims submitted on the old claim form after April 1.
Click here to get the revised 1500 Claims Form.